Wednesday, June 08, 2011

a golden boy getting lost in the woods

I once accidently encountered a golden boy while I was trampling trough woods near my house. I can’t tell which of the two surprised me more; to see anyone walk through those woods but me or that I will ever be in position to encounter such a peculiar character. It was late spring and he was wearing a black turtleneck, some brownish, funny looking trousers and I think I also caught a glimpse of vintage suede gloves sticking out of his left pocket. There certainly was something about his entire appearance, his golden locks and the way he combed his hair that looked so outdated.  He stopped and politely asked me if I happen to have a spare cigarette. I actually did so I gave it to him. And I don’t even know the reason why I stayed there for a while except the fact that I couldn’t stop staring. After he lit the cigarette he turned his head away to the other side and looked around a bit. Then he bit his upper lip, frowned, inhaled another smoke and while still looking away from me he asked: “You don’t happen to know a river around this area that starts with a letter A by any chance, do you?” There was no river around that area that started with a letter A, so I said no. He didn’t do anything when I told him that, he just kept on looking in the same direction for a little while. Then he finally turned his face towards me, smiled and said: “Okay, thank you for the cigarette.” “No problem.” I said and looked in his face. He didn’t look confused, and he didn’t look surprised either. He just looked a bit tired. Finally we both said goodbye and went our own ways.  
And it wasn’t only after a while that I started thinking that perhaps he got lost and that I could have told him there aren’t any rivers around the area that start with a letter A. I could’ve asked him why he asked about a river in the first place. But I didn’t do any of those two. All I did was think how silly his question was. And maybe he really did get lost in those woods but was ashamed to tell me that. But then perhaps it really wouldn’t matter what I said to him. Because, I was a wondering girl and you could tell, he once truly was a golden boy.
Acrylic on canvas, 40x30cm

Bjork "Venus as a Boy"